Since the launch of Windows 10 and its versions, you might not be able to find the Windows XP product key easily on the web anymore. If you are not looking to buy the Windows XP product key but rather searching them over the web for free, here is the complete guide you can follow and know more about it.
Windows XP is one of the most widely used and popular versions of the Windows Operating system that is highly stable and still used by millions of users. To keep the system running and updated, you need a genuine XP product key that you can easily find on the web, or else it is always better to buy one and stay away from thousands of fake keys listed by multiple sources. Let us look at all the possible queries related to the windows XP product key.
Do you need a serial key to install Windows XP?
Yes, you do need a serial or a license key to install Windows XP. Before we get deep into it, there are basically three major types of Windows Licenses you will find as you are looking to get one for your system.
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer): These are known to be license keys that are sold with the internal hardware of the new computer that you purchase. They are available in CD format and are available only while you purchase a new system. Also, they are supported by the manufacturer of the system itself and not Microsoft.
- Retail: The retail version is the one you get directly in a box from the stores or even from online e-commerce platforms. They have a little higher price than the OEM’s but are genuine and work alright with any of the systems you are working on.
- Volume License: Such license keys are generally provided to large businesses where a single key is used for multiple systems at once and does not require any verification or activation too. The Volume License Keys (VLK) are the ones pirated the most and used by millions of users that you might find on the web for free.
No matter whether you are using a new system or an old one, you do need a serial key to get your system started.
Do you need a Windows XP 32-bit or 64-bit key?
A lot of newbies or users that might have just purchased a new Windows XP system do not have the idea of a 32-bit and 64-bit processor. Well, the only manner you can decide whether you should choose between a 32-bit or 64-bit key is if you are aware of your system’s architecture. It is pretty simple once you know what your computer works on.
If you have a 32-bit processor, it is recommended to go with the 32-bit key, and the same goes for the 64-bit processor. This will ensure the smooth running of the system rather than using the wrong keys based on the processor. You can check your system’s processor from the system settings and keep yourself updated.
How to Use Windows XP Home and Professional Product Keys?
There are multiple ways to do this. Since Microsoft has stopped all support for Windows XP, it becomes a little difficult for users to activate it directly using a genuine product key. One very easy method that might work for Windows XP Home is phone activation that might work for some and might not.
On the other hand, you might not need to activate the Professional product keys since it is a Volume Licensing agreement and as we discussed these keys do not require activation and would work after a simple installation.
If you are looking to activate Windows after Microsoft has ended the support for any updates on Windows XP, here is how you can do it in the easiest manner.
- Insert the installation disc and follow the guidelines for Windows XP.
- In the Activation Windows, tap on “Yes, I want to telephone a Customer Service representative to activate Windows”, click on Next.
- Wait for the system to Generate a New Installation ID
- On the screen, choose the country in Step 1.
- Now, call on the Toll-Free Number displayed on the monitor.
- Provide the customer service representative the Installation ID written on the screen.
- Once confirmed, the representative will give you a confirmation ID you need to enter on the boxes.
- Tap on Next.
- Now, click on Finish.
This process works like a charm and is much faster than the online activation method that might work provided the current scenario with the Windows XP support ended. You can use both Windows XP Home and Professional product keys to activate Windows in a similar fashion.
How to change a Windows XP product key?
Once you have successfully installed and activated the product key on your system, you can also try to change it with another ley after it expires. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Click on Win + R on your keyboard to open Run.
- Now, type Regedit, and hit Enter.
- On the screen search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and tap on it.
- Next, open the mentioned registry key as follows
- Now, make a double-click on the file OOBETimer.
- Make changes to anyone digit or letter you feel like.
- Hit Enter.
- Again click on Win + R on your keyboard to open Run.
- Copy and paste the command here on the dialogue box.
- Tap on Enter to open the Activation Wizard on the screen.
- Select the phone activation method.
- Click on the Change Activation Key.
- Enter the new Windows XP keys in the boxes.
- Click on Update.
- Restart your system to make the changes.
Once you have followed all the steps given above, you have successfully changed the activation key.
How to activate Windows XP without a key?
There is a possible method through which you can choose to activate Windows XP without a key. It may or may not work for some users but overall it does have a good response. Let us look at how we can follow this method.
- Click Win + R on your keyboard to open Run.
- Type regedit and tap on Enter.
- Now, simply open the following address on the screen step by step
- Once you have expanded the last address, make a right-click on OOBETimer.
- Click on Modify and replace the letters on the screen with FF D5 71 D6 8B 6A 8D 6F D5 33 93 FD
- Now, make a right-click on WPAEvents and click on Permissions.
- In the next dialogue box, tap on System and check the boxes under Deny for Full Control.
- Click on Apply and then Yes.
- Tap on OK.
You can now check your Windows activation screen to see if it worked. This process will most likely activate Windows XP again in the system and does not require a key.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Yes, if you already have an installed version of Windows XP on your system, it is most likely to work. Even though Microsoft has ended any further support for this version, you will not receive any form of an update. Moreover, there are several ways where you can install and activate Windows XP through genuine license keys that are available on the web, or else you can hunt for VLK on the key finder. To activate Windows XP in 2021 you can follow the process we have mentioned above.
A lot of users still consider Windows XP to be one of the best versions among all even after using Windows 10 with tons of updates. The major reason behind this was simplicity on the Windows XP interface. No matter even if you were a beginner, taking control of your system has never been easier especially if you have worked on Windows 10 as well.
If you have an old Windows XP PC with an active system, you can either choose to work on it for regular purposes because we all know that it still is brilliant to work with few changes. Since the support has ended from Microsoft, you can also choose to upgrade the system to either of the version that is Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10. Or else you can completely erase and start fresh with Linux OS to experience something new.
Here we are with everything you need to know about the Windows XP product key. Well, all the process mentioned here is verified and tested ourselves so that it works for you just like it wrecked for us. Make sure you follow each step carefully since it might require you to follow certain commands and addresses before you can actually get the result.
Moving on, Windows XP like we mentioned is one of the best still and very stable to work. If you are still looking to fix your older system and get on with Windows XP, you can try out all these methods and solve your queries. There are a lot of other aspects too that you might come across while following the steps above. If you are stuck and come across any error, let us know in the comment section so that we can help you fix it.